The Churches Of The Metropolis No. V – St. Marylebone
The parish of Marylebone is, perhaps, one of the most interesting in London, for a variety of reasons, some of them being very opposite ones. It grew out of the little village of Tyburn, a name that for a long period had an ominous and ugly sound; and contained the pleasure-garden and the place of punishment of the metropolis—the Tivoli and the Place de Grèce of London. The Newgate novels of Mr. Harrison Ainsworth have done much to increase the stock of public knowledge as to both these peculiarities: “Jack Sheppard” ends his career at Tyburn; and in the “Miser’s Daughter” (we believe) one of the scenes is laid in “Marybone Gardens.” The site of these gardens was near the cast end of the church; for several years they were much resorted to by the public, more generally perhaps than even Vauxhall in the hey-day of its prosperity; but brick and mortar have long since covered every vestige of the “gardens,” which were suppressed in 1773. The present Bowling-green Alley was their southern boundary; and here it was that the “dukes,” mentioned by Lady Wortley Montague, “at Marybone bowled time away.”
