Illustration of St. Pancras' church

The Churches Of The Metropolis No. XIII – St. Pancras’ Old Church

It seems but the other day this old suburban church was pleasantly surrounded by green fields and quiet hedgerows; but now the mammoth magnitude of this great city—the modern Babylon—has stretched itself in this direction, as in all others; and St. Pancras’ fields, with their rows of goodly elms, and pleasant meandering footpaths leading to the then village church, exist only as a pleasant memory. Surrounded by houses, the old church seems out of place, and might be passed as little worthy attention. Still are there facts worth noting in its history, and that of the locality in which it stands—and associations which may serve to prompt more than a passing thought. The whole of this neighbourhood is linked by tradition with a deadly fight between the Britons and their invaders, when seventy thousand men were said to have been slain at “Battle-bridge.” Modern fashion has attempted to get rid of the old Saxon name which serves to keep this struggle in remembrance, by christening the locality in courtly guise, King’s Cross—erecting, too, in the centre of the road an architectural hybrid, the use of which could never be discovered, unless built there for omnibuses to run against. All round Battle-bridge traces of entrenchments have been found, running up close to the old church; some of them, called the Brill, occupied the pen of the learned and ingenious Stukely. During the civil wars, also, this spot again became the seat of armed entrenchments, and the Royalists and Parliamentarians occupied the ground which more than a thousand years earlier had been trodden by the armed legions of Rome, and the comparatively defenceless Britons.

Illustration of the Church of St. Savior's, London

The Churches Of The Metropolis No. XII – St. Saviour’s

Crossing London-bridge to Southwark, the church of St. Mary Overy, or St. Saviour’s, on the right hand, divides attention with the first glimpse of the noble Hospitals which attest so proudly the charitable munificence of our country. Southwark, as early as any accounts exist of London, was a place of some importance; and on the marching of the Conqueror to the metropolis it had the misfortune to be selected for burning, by way of example to the inhabitants on the London side, who were somewhat disinclined to favour the pretensions of William. The site of the present church was, at an early period, that of the Priory of St. Mary Overy; of this considerable remains still exist, and, indeed, portions of the present building formed a part of it. The priory was twice destroyed by fire, and the present church was most probably (there are no positive records) built in the reign of Henry IV. At the dissolution of monasteries it was surrendered to Henry, purchased from him by the good folks of Southwark, and converted into a parish church. An act of Parliament afterwards united it with that of St. Margaret-at-Hill, and changed its old Saxon name of St. Mary Overy into that of St. Saviour’s, Southwark.

Illustration of the church of St. Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside

The Churches Of The Metropolis No. XI – St. Mary-le-Bow, Cheapside

The early histories of the greater number of old buildings in London, both ecclesiastical and otherwise, are connected with so many and such strange events, placing vividly before us a state of society entirely different from what we are accustomed to, that they have the air rather of romantic fictions than of literal records; but serve nevertheless to show the changes which have taken place, and to impress strongly upon us, amongst other lessons, the advantages which have attended the spread of education. This must have been apparent in many of our former accounts, but in none is it more so than in that of the church we are about to illustrate, St. Mary-le-Bow, which, if not originally a Roman temple, as was generally believed, was one of the earliest churches built by our Norman conquerors; has been destroyed by storm and fire; was at one time garrisoned and besieged; and was afterwards the scene of an assassination. To go, however, a little more into detail :—

Illustration of All Souls' Church, Langham Place, London

The Churches Of The Metropolis No. IX – All Souls’ Church, Langham Place

The improvements which originated in the Regency of George the Fourth, and converted Swallow-street, with its filthy labyrinthine environs, into the moet picturesque avenue of the metropolis, may be considered as the first step in the march of architectural embellishment which is now visible from the western entrance to Babylon the Great, at Hyde-park-corner, to the “far east,” where sits the old lady of Threadneedle-street, rubbing her eyes and spectacles in astonishment at finding herself the heart and centre of a city of palaces.

Where has commerce such a mart,
So rich, so thronged, so drained, and so supplied,
As LONDON—opulent, enlarged, and still
Increasing London? Babylon of old
Not more the glory of the earth than she,
A more accomplished world’s chief glory now!

Illustration of the church of St. Paul's Covent-Garden

The Churches Of The Metropolis No. VIII – St. Paul’s, Covent-Garden

When Francis Duke of Bedford, in the reign of the first Charles, proposed to erect a place of worship for his tenantry in the then thinly populated locality of the Convent-Garden, he called to his councils the celebrated Inigo Jones, suggesting, as we find it recorded, that “anything—a barn would do;” an expression sounding more of the prudence than of the piety of the said Francis. The architect took the hint, and thence arose, in 1640, the Palladian structure of which we now behold a duplicate; the original building having been destroyed in 1795, through the carelessness of some workmen engaged in its repair. The contemplation of this edifice has given rise to a shrewd suspicion on our mind, that the above venerable anecdote relating to its origin may have been the after-thought of some architectural critic, whose admiration for the designer of Whitehall was stronger than his respect for the memory of the Duke. Be that as it may, the structure, for several years, was merely known as the Chapel of Ease to St. Martin’s-in-the-Fields, until 1645, when it was erected into a separate living, and, in the year of the Restoration (1660), the patronage was vested in the Duke of Bedford; the whilom chapelry becoming known as the church and parish of St. Paul, Covent-Garden.