The Churches Of The Metropolis No. V – St. Marylebone

Illustration of the Church of St. Marylebone, London

The parish of Marylebone is, perhaps, one of the most interesting in London, for a variety of reasons, some of them being very opposite ones. It grew out of the little village of Tyburn, a name that for a long period had an ominous and ugly sound; and contained the pleasure-garden and the place of punishment of the metropolis—the Tivoli and the Place de Grèce of London. The Newgate novels of Mr. Harrison Ainsworth have done much to increase the stock of public knowledge as to both these peculiarities: “Jack Sheppard” ends his career at Tyburn; and in the “Miser’s Daughter” (we believe) one of the scenes is laid in “Marybone Gardens.” The site of these gardens was near the cast end of the church; for several years they were much resorted to by the public, more generally perhaps than even Vauxhall in the hey-day of its prosperity; but brick and mortar have long since covered every vestige of the “gardens,” which were suppressed in 1773. The present Bowling-green Alley was their southern boundary; and here it was that the “dukes,” mentioned by Lady Wortley Montague, “at Marybone bowled time away.”

This church is situated about three miles north-west of St. Paul’s. It fronts York Gate, one of the entrances to Regent’s Park, and is located so as to command ecclesiastical influence over an equally admixed congregation of rich and poor, although the former appears to predominate when we glance at the numerous assemblage within the walls of St. Marylebone on Sunday. Many of the nobility hold seats in this church.

The subject of our sketch is the new parish church. It was built by subscription, and was finished an.l consecrated on 4th February. The first incumbent was the Rev. Archdeacon Heslop. The Duke of Portland and Sir James Graham were first church-wardens. The building is a massy pile of weighty masonry. The principal front is graced with a square portico. This portico gives support to eight pillars of Corinthian mould, which bear a solid pediment without ornament. The roof, around the entire of the building, is edged with light balustrade, which imparts a singularly pleasing effect in the appearance of the whole structure. The tower, or steeple, is composed of a square base, containing the clock, supporting a turret encircled with light Corinthian columns, and bearing a number of sculptured figures, which support a dome surmounted with light stone-work and vane. The contract for building the church was at first restricted to £27,000; but, with sundry alterations and improvements on the original plan, it was ultimately finished at an expense of about £70,000. It is a chaste design; and the splendour of its masonic finish reflects great credit on the architect, Mr. Wade. The interior corresponds with the elegant outward appearance of the building. It is fitted up with two hanging galleries. A painting of “St. Joseph, with the Virgin and Child” is affixed to the wall above the altar. The side walls are adorned with marble tomb-pieces, upon which the names, and titles, and virtues of those whose remains are interred within the parish burying-ground are tastefully chiselled; armorial-bearings and other devices are likewise engraved on these sad records of the past. The inner building is lighted with gas lamps hanging from the galleries. The pulpit, towards the south end of the church, is a very handsome erection, supported on a square base, but without the usual appendage of upper or sounding board. A fair estimate of the entire size of this church will be conveyed, when we inform our readers that it affords accommodation to 3000 sitters. The official labours of four clergymen are required—an evening lecturer, two curates, and rector. The present incumbent is the Rev, J. H. Spry, D.D.

The Illustrated London News, London, England, Week Ending August 6, 1842